Laika’s The Boxtrolls opens in theaters today, but not only that….Coming soon will be a brand new podcast with the directors of The Boxtrolls, Anthony Stacchi and Graham Annable along with lead Animator and Producer Travis Knight!!!!! We know it’s been awhile, so we are super excited to bring you this podcast. It should be up in the next week or two, that gives you plenty of time to see the film and come back and listen to how they made it. I’m also personally very proud of this film, I’ve always dreamed of working with Laika on a project and over the winter I had that chance. The Boxtrolls is a wonderful film and I’m really glad that I had the chance to work on it. So go see the movie, come back here to tell us what you thought and stay tuned for our latest podcast!!
Our Very own Stephen Melagrano will be at Cartoon Connection Canada in Quebec City on October 29th and will be giving a master class with Mini Pixel and iAnimate.net. You can check out the press release below for more info:
DreamWorks Animation and Blizzard Entertainment will take part in Quebec City’s Mini Pixel new master classes in animation. The side event will be held at the Loews Hôtel Le Concorde on Tuesday, October 29 during Cartoon Connection Canada, an international convention of animation and video game professionals.
Three master classes are scheduled for October 29: David Lesperance (Microsoft, Blizzard Entertainment, Valve Corporation) from 9 a.m. to 12 noon in the Lismer-Leduc-Fortin Room, Ken Fountain (DreamWorks Animation, SplatFrog.com, iAnimate Workshops) from 2 p.m. to 3: 30 p.m. in the Suzor-Côté-Krieghoff Room, a master class on using attitudes and body language to interpret, simplify and caricaturize complex expressions in an animated character, and Stephen Melagrano (Blue Sky Studios, DreamWorks Animation, Sony Pictures, Speakingofanimation.com) from 4 p.m. to 5: 30 p.m. in the Suzor- Côté-Krieghoff Room, a discussion on the process of creating an animated character, from its body mechanics to its emotional credibility.
“We’re really pleased to bring these speakers to Quebec City. This is a great opportunity for animation professionals to gain in-depth knowledge and added experience,” says Louis Leclerc, general manger of Pixel Québec and co- organizer of Cartoon Connection Canada.
To register for these master classes or for more details, click here.
Stephen also recently did an interview with Rhino House about what he thinks reference is and finding inspiration for your work:
ParaNorman opens in theaters today. Make sure you go out and see it because….WE HAVE A PODCAST COMING SOON WITH THE DIRECTORS AND LEAD ANIMATOR!!!!! Jacob and Stephen sat down with Chris Butler, Sam Fell, and Travis Knight to talk about the film and how they animated it up at Laika. The podcast has tons of great insights and a bunch a spoilers, that’s why we will be waiting a few weeks after the movies release to post it. So go see it, it’s a fantastic film that we know you’ll enjoy!! To urge you even closer to the theaters, check out these really cool ParaNorman posters by Mondo:
If you’re as excited about Parnorman as we are, and if you’ll be at Comic-Con next week. Here is what you need to know to get your zombie on:
- On Friday the 13th, there will be a ParaNorman panel in Hall H featuring Kodi Smit-McPhee, Anna Kendrick, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, directors Chris Butler & Sam Fell, LAIKA CEO Travis Knight. EW’s Dave Karger is moderating.
- Also on Friday the 13th, ParaNorman’s head of RP, Brian McLean, will participate in ASIFA-Hollywood’s State of the Industry panel from 2-3pm.
- A ParaNorman-themed ice cream truck will be cruising around the Gaslamp district throughout the convention featuring special events and offering
free ice cream and giveaways to the public.
- ParaNorman walk-around characters will be seen wandering around the convention and will be available for photo opps.
- Also at the Yahoo! Movieland Experience from Thursday July 12 – Sunday July 15, attendees will be able take their photo with Norman and his “Zombie Pals” in the small town of Blithe Hollow, the setting for “ParaNorman” in theatres August 17th. Everyone will walk away with a physical copy of their photo, as well as a digital copy emailed to them.
And if you haven’t seen it yet, checkout this awesome promo – Making Norman